Saturday, July 26, 2008

Response to Stephen Tvedten on IPM Issues

Thanks for the comment from Stephen Tvedten on IPM related issues, in response to my post entitled 'Gorongosa National Park, Organic Farming Transitional Phase', and sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I will publish your comment in my blog, and would like to keep in touch. I do not need converting, however, the people with whom we work, do. So we are taking a step by step approach, which is working. We have made contact with experts with local knowledge who will be visiting to advise us how to move forward on the IPM front. In the mean-time, we are encouraging planting of indigenous flora around cropped areas to provide a breeding ground for natural pest predators. Study here has shown that habitat structure is the most effective means of maintaining pest predator numbers.

Lastly, this is exactly the sort of disussion this blog hopes to attract, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment